Facebook image
Skip navigation

Constituent Services

Some of your questions may already have an answer. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions first to see if you need further assistance.

Renters seeking affordable housing

Wisconsin is facing a critical shortage of affordable housing; therefore, making it challenging for many residents to find available rental housing options within reach. Here are a few resources to assist residents struggling to find a place to rent:

  • WIHousingSearch: A FREE tool to help search or list housing and related resources available online or via a toll-free call center at 1-877-428-8844. Assistance is provided live in English and Spanish, voice and TTY, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-7 p.m. It also helps provide links to local resources for rental, legal, energy, veterans assistance, and more.
  • Section 8 Voucher Program: The WHEDA Housing Choice Voucher Program helps families with very low to extremely low incomes rent decent, safe, sanitary, and affordable housing of their choice.

Wisconsinites who are homeless or at immediate risk of homelessness

Emergency Housing Voucher (EHV) Program: This program works to provide assistance for individuals and families experiencing or at risk of homelessness, survivors of domestic or sexual violence, and victims of human trafficking. WHEDA has partnered with the Balance of State Continuum of Care and the Racine City and County Continuum of Care to accept referrals for qualifying households. All referrals for the EHV program must come from the Continuum of Care (CoC). Families that believe they may be eligible for Emergency Housing Voucher assistance should contact their designated CoC directly.

Renters facing eviction, housing discrimination, or experiencing issues with their landlord or apartment

  • Legal Services: Free legal aid is available to assist low-income tenants with referrals, legal information, and legal representation for evictions statewide. Renters can reach out to Legal Action of Wisconsin and other organizations for assistance.
  • Fair Housing Discrimination: Wisconsin State law prohibits discrimination in housing based on a person's membership in a protected class. The statute of limitations for filing a complaint is one year from the date the action was taken or the individual was made aware that the action was taken. If a person believes they have been discriminated against, they should contact the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development to file a complaint online.
  • Tenants Living in Subsidized Housing: Tenants should always contact their apartment’s management office first to report issues they may be experiencing. If that does not resolve the issue, and the tenant lives in public housing or has rental assistance through a public housing authority (PHA), they should contact their PHA directly. Additionally, WHEDA may be able to assist the tenant if they live in other types of subsidized housing. Tenants can contact WHEDA’s hotline directly at the Tenant Concerns Help Line: tenantconcerns@WHEDA.com or call 800-943-9430 to report the issue.

Homeowners who are struggling to make their mortgage payments

  • WHEDA Foreclosure Prevention: Help is available to homeowners with an existing WHEDA mortgage who are experiencing payment difficulties. WHEDA will do everything possible to come up with a solution. No matter what your situation is, WHEDA is here to help. 
  • Wisconsin Help for Homeowners: WHEDA offers this new statewide program that can help with overdue bills such as mortgage payments, property taxes, utilities, and more. The program is open to individuals and families living in Wisconsin and who meet the following requirements: have an overdue housing-related bill, both with and without a mortgage; meet income and other eligibility requirements; and have experienced a qualified economic hardship since January 21, 2020.

Other Constituent Services Resources

  • WHEDA Loan Servicing: For homebuyers seeking assistance with their loan, please contact our servicing department.